sábado, 7 de septiembre de 2013

RAPE CULTURE

So apparently rape culture is all around internet, especially on tumblr. I am against rape culture, and what amazed me (in a bad way sadly) about it is that even I find myself inside this stupid rape culture. Because sometimes when I´m choosing my clothes to go out, i think "Oh, this skirt is to short, i won´t wear it, I don´t want any guy to do me anything", when really it wouldn´t be entirely my fault if by some reason i got raped, the fault is of the dirty man who rapes, but the society would say something like "she was wearing a very short skirt, she was asking for it", no one can say "that man, although she was wearing a short skirt, is not an animal and therefore is very able to resist any kind of sexual impulse he may have, so it´s his fault"
For those of you who may not know a lot about this, rape culture is "a concept which links rape and sexual violence to the culture of a society, and in which prevalent attitudes and practices normalize, excuse, tolerate or even condone rape"
We can see rape culture in the society in different ways: for example, girls who say to have been raped aren´t believed most of the times, girls who are raped are blamed for it because "they were looking for it" maybe for wearing a short skirt, which a girl has total right to do. The thing is that it´s not just about wearing a short skirt, but about having boobs or a good body, is the woman´s fault to have a woman´s body? Is the woman´s fault to have boobs or a vagina? I don´t think so. Men are human beings, not animals, so they´re able to resist their impulses, or at least they should be. I´m not saying sometimes girls dress like whores and that´s not right either, but that is absolutely no excuse for a girl to get raped. 
Another thing that should not be is that girls are normally scared to admit to have been raped, maybe because they think they will not be believed or maybe because the one who has raped her is a close friend or even member of the family. An that´s defintetly not right, this society, in some kind of way, must encourage rape victims to tell somebody, or to go to somebody for help, because I´m pretty sure every single rape victim should get psychological attention, being raped must be a very hard trauma.
So I just wanted to explain a little bit about this without being too boring (sorry if I have)
Here I´ll post a poem I saw on tumblr about raping (It´s not mine)

My rapist doesn´t know he´s a rapist
because my skirt was short
and my "no" was slurred
like I was teasing
I don´t know
Things went dark for a while
My friends don´t know he´s a rapist
because I don´t remember
so maybe, I said "yes"
he´s nice
nice people don´t do "that"
my town doesn´t know he´s a rapist
because I was told to "keep quiet"
so the university can "handle it"
and when they find the rape kit they lost
they´ll test it
but until then, I should move on
My body knows he´s a rapist
because it hurts to stand or sit or walk or talk
and there is a handprint on my thigh
and I don´t remember how it got there
but I remember the next morning
how he bragged about that slut he nailed
and looked and me
and he and his friends laughed
my rapist doesn´t know he´s a rapist
because I´m the only person who tells him he is
and if Im the only one to believe it
is it true?



It´s so sad this poem is so sad.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario